Friday, November 16, 2012

What would your comfort level be around someone with HIV/AIDS


What would your comfort level be around someone with HIV/AIDS?
On my term paper, I'm including a survey on people's opinions on those infected with HIV and AIDS; if you found out that someone you knew became infected with AIDS, how would your comfort level around them change on a scale from 1-10? 1 being that it doesn't bother you at all, and 10 being that you couldn't stand to be around them.. thank you for your help! :)
STDs - 9 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
One.
2 :
I've met people with HIV and it didn't bother me at all. So I guess that's a '1'
3 :
i dont see why your feelings or opinions should have to change around a person just because they have contracted the HIV virus... its not like they are going to infect you by just being there! i think my comfort level would change if it was somebody i was going to sleep with! i dont think i could sleep with somebody if i knew they had it... but it would not stop me liking them as a person the HIV virus does not change a persons personality and it is wrong to treat them any different to anybody else. your a shallow shallow person if you ditch a long term friend on the sole grounds that they'd contracted this awful condition. id be a 1 - it would not bother me at all as a friend i'd be there for my friend in need...
4 :
1 for HIV; 5 for AIDS; 10+ for hepatitis.
5 :
I volunteer at the local hospital and its not as easy to say 1 or 10. Given the fact that all should be treated with respect and dignity, i want to warn you about getting blood on your hands ect. (its scary, and dont say its not). But they are just like us, but with a slight diff? I mean you still need to be carefull k? Just go for a "5" if you are in a bloody situation. Otherwise just go for "1". I dont like ppl behaving like "10" around sick ppl. They are truely selfish. (",) Living in South Africa, we get to do with a lot of AIDS and HIV in our society. We get taught in school alot about AIDS ect and how just normal behaviour wont get you infected (holdinh hands, hugs, sharing food ect.) but we know all about blood and the potensial threat it holds. (",) good luck with your report hey.
6 :
1. its not like you can catch it just by being near them. I have a friend who is HIV pos for over 20 yrs. Been friends with him for 30. It makes no difference to me. He is still him.
7 :
We have been working with those affected with AIDS and never felt that this will affect us, we are always comfortable. Scale 1
8 :
1... I lived with brother who had HIV/AIDS for 10 years and it never changed anything. Yes, bodily fluids are a little scarier, but I would take standard precautions with anyone's body fluids.... not just HIV/AIDS patients. All that being said, I don't think you are going to get an accurate representation of this in the health section. Most people lurking around here answering questions have at least a slight background in the medical field, or are at least interested in it and therefore most likely educated about the disease. I would try posting it in society and culture somewhere, or perhaps the teen section if you're still in high school. I think you would get a better representation of the normal population.
9 :
Ok. Everyone here is saying 1, and thats ok if they feel that way, but Im going to be honest. From one to ten, I'd be a 3, the most. I mean, Ive always had fears about contracting HIV, so yeah. Its not about ignorance, honestly, because I know that there are some ways u can and can not catch it, but its just a fear in the back of my head. Eventually, I'd just forget about it.



Read more discussions :