Saturday, February 20, 2010

Does anybody know how accurate the tests for HIV/AIDS are when you are pregnant


Does anybody know how accurate the tests for HIV/AIDS are when you are pregnant?
When I was pregnant with my son I signed a consent form to have my obgyn test me for HIV/Aids but I never heard anything after that. Does anybody have any stories to share? I am just wondering. Thanks
STDs - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
The test's accuracy is not affected by pregnancy. The reason they test you is so that they can protect your child. If the mother is HIV positive, the baby can be given anti-retrovirals and not breastfed, and this drastically reduces the risk of transmitting the virus.
2 :
It's mostly correctly tested, but no accurate percentage. My friend on the STD social & dating site called pozcupid .com has the same problem with you. You may ask her. She has blog there.
3 :
An HIV test is fairly accurate after 6 months of exposure to the virus. It looks for HIV antibodies, which can take 6-12 months for your body to produce if infected.



Read more discussions :