Sunday, March 16, 2008

How much of an increased chance do nurses have of contracting HIV/AIDS


How much of an increased chance do nurses have of contracting HIV/AIDS?
I am planning on going into nursing, however, HIV/AIDS is something that has terrified me since I learned about it. I'm not planning on letting that stop me, I just wanted to hear some opinions.
Infectious Diseases - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
0 % if you are careful and work follow the guidelines
2 :
I once thought of a nursing major, and then getting my family nurse practitioner degree. I have a lot of friends that are nurses, and none have contracted it. It depends mainly on where you work at. At a hospital, in the ER, where you might not know the history of the patient, and they are stressed and apt to do anything, you pose a good risk of getting it. Sometimes patients will pull out IVs and try to stap nurses and doctors with them. But as far as just working with blood and bodily fluids, as long as you practice proper hygiene, chances are pretty low. I don't know a percentage amount for contraction by healthcare professionals at work, but just going by the number that I know of, I would say very slim chances, and I know a couple hundred nurses. The main ones that worry are the ones that work in the ER.



Read more discussions :