Thursday, October 28, 2010

Can you contract HIV/AIDS if infected blood were to come in contact with a wound


Can you contract HIV/AIDS if infected blood were to come in contact with a wound?
I was just wondering because I was debating with a friend if this actually happened or not. I said that the blood coming out of the arteries and veins would flush the blood out, and that due to the elasticity of blood vessels, the severed vessels in which blood would retract and slightly close. Then I was wondering what if were just to come in contact with tissue, not necessarily just get into the blood stream. @simone - ah sorry, yeah I meant to contract HIV from HIV/AIDS infected blood.
Infectious Diseases - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
check out the CDC website to be sure.... I'm 98% certain that if you touch something with the living HIV virus with an open cut/ wound/ ect you run the risk of catching it.
2 :
Wow ! Yes good point. Never looked at it like that.I would ask my doctor. May be to wash the wound after contact would go a long way to playing safe. Very much worth looking into that.
3 :
Might depend on how "healthy" the virus was. I wouldn't play Russian roulette to find out. Even if it only contacted non-vulnerable tissue, you might somehow get it onto a vulnerable spot. Your mind is a good scientific one. You can use it to find solutions - don't stop at the point of weighing risks!
4 :
hiv an aids are not the same thing. hiv means you have a low t-cell count and aids can be any of 30 diseases that are present with low t-cell count
5 :
I would say that it is very likely. I mean you are talking about a virus which is very tiny.
6 :
well...if u have a large open wound and u r literally pushing HIV infected blood into it then yes...otherwise, no...it is not that easy to get



Read more discussions :